Get Organized By Paying Attention

I am becoming increasingly convinced that being successful in life (not to mention happy) is largely dependent on good organization skills.  This unoriginal light bulb moment happened for me last week when I hung up a key hook by the door.  It was simple move, but one of great significance for me.

Do you know how much time I have spent searching for my keys?  I am glad no one has been tallying the minutes because to know exactly how much time I have wasted would be too depressing.  It happened multiple times a day, almost every single day.  Not too long ago I even left my keys in the front door overnight.

But the funny thing is that I didn’t realize how much time I was wasting until I hung up the key hook.  Sure, it was inconvenient to search for keys every time we were heading out, but it didn’t seem like that big of a deal.  After I hung up the key hook, I noticed a big change.  It was so much easier to get out the door because I didn’t have to plan on 10 or 15 minutes of hide and seek before we could leave.   This got me thinking about other areas in my life that could use a bit more organization.

In order to identify where else in my life I might need some refreshing, some organization, some better time management, I carried around a notebook for a few days.  I wrote everything down – what time I got up, what I ate, where I went, everything I did and how long it took to do it.   The results were surprising to say the least!

I eat more than I think I do.  I often skip meals (I know, I know) so I think that because I didn’t have breakfast or lunch it is certainly within my bounds to eat a cupcake (or four), and maybe a handful of crackers and nuts, and I’m not one to turn down a bit of cheese here and there (and everywhere).  My notebook showed me that I may in fact be eating a bit more on the side than I would if I just ate meals like I should.

I found a lot of ways I could be saving time – really, I wasn’t on Pinterest for just a second or two?  I identified things that a bit of organization and simplification could make run smoother, like the pantry for mealtimes and my closet when I get ready in the morning.  I even found a few things I could pat myself on the back for, which is always nice you know.  As it turns out, I spend a good amount of time studying scriptures and playing with my kids.

So, if 90% of success is being organized and managing time well, I think the other 10% is paying attention.  After a few days of paying close attention to my habits and routines, I am on my way to making small changes and big improvements.  It is as simple as a notebook, a pen, and a commitment to pay attention.

Try carrying around a notebook for a couple days and see what you can learn about yourself.  It’s not one more thing to do, I promise; it’s a shortcut. 

Have you tried this before? 
How do you keep track of what is working and what’s not in your life?
Advertisements
This entry was posted in balance, whole living. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s